Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The 7's: In Decorating

I never really gave a Seven & Seven view of our old apartment in Cincinnati (which I really did love). The building was a National Historic Landmark, and while it needed an upgrade in some places, I always loved its charm. So now that we are in our first house (still renting, but it feels like an upgrade!), I wanted to take a post to talk about my love for decorating and show you some pictures of how things are coming.

For this move, I am very happy to say that the only money we spent on the house was new paint in a few rooms.  Other than that, we did not buy a single thing!  It is amazing to see what a little paint and rearranging of your furniture can do. My mom gave me advice a few apartments back when she said "Never buy for this apartment now, buy for the house you want one day".  And this is so true.  Instead of spending money on pieces or items that may only work for your current home, either save your money and wait, or buy items that can easily transfer from home to home, style to style.  I know that Justin and I have moved more than the average people our age, but its still a great moto to shop by when decorating at a young age.

Along with some pictures, I wanted to give you my 7 Rules of Decorating.  I know that not everyone has my style, but hopefully you can translate some of these tips into your own and recreate for your current living space.


  1. Your home should be a reflection of yourself.  If you look around, and you don't see YOU, change it. What is missing that is unique to you as an individual? Showcase it.
  2. Everything has its place.  If you can't find a "home" for something, it probably means you don't really use it that much. Cleaning out and donating old items to charity is a great way to start fresh.
  3. Decorate with staple items.  For me, this means books, picture frames, vases, and even coasters. Stack books together to give height to an arrangement, and use items that sit out every day (like coasters) to say something creative about your style. 
  4. Always have fresh flowers.  I have discovered that the cheaper the flowers at your grocery store (mums, daisies, etc.), the longer they last.  Cut the stems at an angle and fill the vase will luke warm water.  Add a little sugar or flower food to keep them alive days longer.
  5. Master the 10 minute clean.  Know what you can clean in 10 minutes and what you need to "pick up" to keep your space looking tidy and organized. 
  6. Do not be afraid to mix patterns and prints. If you can't take a risk in your own home, where can you take it? Everything doesn't have to match to look great together. 
  7. Highlight what you love.  A framed photo from your wedding, a hand me down piece from your grandmother, whatever it is that is special to you, keep it out and let it tell its story.
A huge thanks to my mom for all of her decorating help this past weekend! She can really work wonders on a room, thank you!! :)

Dining Room with Mix Matched Chairs & Benches

Guest Bedroom--Full of Stripes! 
Living Room

Old Window Frames Backed with Fabric & Wallpaper--easy DIY

Orange & Grey Mix with Fun Zebra pillows

Nautical Inspired Shower Curtain

Office Desk with New Grey Paint 

3 comments:

  1. looks fantastic, Ali! Your style is amazing and also very YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the preppy but still vintage and unique feel. Absolutely ad-dor-able !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both!! This is one of my favorite things to do :)

    ReplyDelete