Sunday, October 14, 2012

Skin-ny Dipping

Last month, I focused on foundation for the monthly beauty review (non-drugstore items), and this month I am taking off the makeup, and getting to the root of it all.  Your skin. I am by no means an expert on skincare, but I can promise that if you invest in your skin and take the time to treat it, both your natural face and your made up face will look exponential better.

Here is what I will be reviewing this month:
  • My daily moisturizer 
  • My go-to treatment product
  • My #1 self tanner

Before I start, none of the products below are inexpensive.  But, each of them will last you months, and you have my guarantee at least that they are quality products that truly work. I would though, before you buy, try them for yourselves. Go to Sephora and ask for samples (you can do this for the moisturizer and treatment gel), for the self tanner, they have sample packets that you can purchase at Sephora for a fraction of the cost.  Try before you buy (you will be happier).

Reviewing in order of how you should apply:

1. Peter Thomas Roth, Glycolic Acid 10% Hydrating Gel

I found this product by chatting with a Sephora rep about a few of my skincare concerns: acne scars, redness, blemish control. She encouraged me to try the Glycolic Acid 10% Hydrating Gel, and I am so glad that I did.  This is my second bottle, and my skin is smoother, clearer, and brighter than it has ever been. You can wear under makeup, as well as apply at night, and one bottle lasted me 7 months (SEVEN). Coming from someone who was very concerned about her skin pre-wedding, this did the trick and then some. A little warning, when you first start using your skin may appear more sensitive (peeling, redness) and this is 100% normal. You will NOT see results with this product for the first month or so, but trust me, its working.

2. Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Glow Pads

If you are anything like me, paleness scares you.  But so does the tanning bed. And with spray tans being expensive, and a lot of maintenance to keep up, they are not always the most convenient or cost-effective option.  These pads (1 per package) give you a natural glow (not orange) that will last you 2-3 days.  When people ask me how I look "tan", first I want to say "you need your eyes checked because I am the farthest thing from tan", but then I remember, "Oh yes, I did use self tanner this morning".  On top of the tan factor you get with these pads, they also have anti-aging benefits that exfoliate and rejuvenate the skin. They are a win (unless you are going for the Jersey Shore glow).

3. Laura Mercier Flawless Skin Lotion

I love this lotion.  I love the smell, I love the lightness, I love how bright and clean my skin looks and feels when I am wearing it.  That being said, I hate the price.  But I also hate to admit, that its worth it.  I found the Laura Mercier Flawless Skin lotion by receiving a few samples from the Saks counter on a visit to NYC.  I went through the samples, then went and asked for more samples (I am telling you, TRY), and then I was convinced. There is something about this lotion that just makes you glow, and enhances your skin, makeup or no makeup. Oil-free, SPF 15, and ultra light weight. This lotion is meant for the morning only, but you will feel hydrated throughout the day.




Peter Thomas Roth, Glycolic Acid 10% Hydrating Gel, $48
Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Glow Pads, $32 (for a 20 count pack)
Laura Mercier Flawless Skin Lotion, $95

No comments:

Post a Comment