Thursday, October 25, 2012

Drugstore Recap: October

It's that time of month, Drugstore Recap time :) I apologize for the delay in getting this post up.  Things have been a bit crazy with figuring out our move to Michigan, but there will be more updates to come this weekend.  And, a Halloween treat is coming on Monday, so stayed tuned!

This month I am reviewing 3 of my favorite drugstore products.  I do have to caveat that one of them is strictly for readers with blonde hair (natural or highlighted), but because this is the story with my hair it's easy for me to write about.  This will not always be the case, but the below "blonde" product is phenomenal and deserved a shout out. I promise to touch on products across the board in the future, just takes a little more team to research and try.

Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo (blondes only): 
My hair grows so fast, SO fast, that the second I cut it, its already growing again.  This is really challenging if you have blonde highlights (like me), because often times my roots are growing out the second I leave the salon. My hair also tends to loose color quickly, especially if I have been in the sun or have been washing it too frequently. Shimmer lights is amazing because it truly holds your color longer and keeps it looking salon fresh during the in between periods.

The shampoo is bright purple, which helps tone out and remove brassiness from blonde or silver shades of hair. It also leaves hair silky and smooth, rather than dried out which can easily happen with highlighted hair. This shampoo is not meant to be used everyday, I typically use it every other wash, but it will make a difference in keeping your hair fresh, bright, and blonde.

($10-$15, available at most drugstores, as well as Ulta and some professional salons)

It's a 10 Miracle Leave In Spray (all hair types):
Its a Ten claims to have 10 benefits for your hair.  Controls fizz, mends split ends, adds volume, are just a few of the product values.  After having used this product for over a year, I swear by it.  Its a leave in spray that you use on wet hair before styling.  If you have tangly hair post shower, a little spray goes a long way in combing through damp hair. This products really enhances the overall quality of your hair quickly, and allows for easily styling, enhancing the life of your blow dry, and protecting your hair from other stresses (i.e. humidity). Overall, it really is, a 10.

($10-$15, available at most drug stores, as well as Ulta)




Revlon Photo Ready Eye Primer + Brightener: 
I recently purchased this product, as it reminded me of the Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat pen.  Both products claim to brighten and waken your skin, and leave you looking more refreshed. The Revlon version is slightly on the pinker side, with a thinner formula, than the YSL version (see photos below).  But, the wand does leave you looking more alive and is very convenient to swipe on in the morning or throw in your bag to use mid day. YSL is really known for their version, and have been perfecting the formula for years. Their pen does come in more color varieties, but it also comes with a much higher price tag.  For a lot less, the Revlon version does the trick, and is a much more affordable option to looking more awake.

($8.99 at Walgreens for Revolon's version & $40 for YSL's version, available at Sephora)








(Revlon is the back swatch; YSL is the front swatch)


1 comment:

  1. Two things--first, thanks for reviewing "It's a Ten"--I've been mulling over whether to make a purchase on this to tame my brillo-top. I use Living Proof, which is great, but is pricey. Will definitely try this product on your recommendation. Secondly, thanks for duping YSL's Touche Eclat. I'm on my third YSL and am looking for a dupe b/c I want one for traveling. (I HATE bringing all my good stuff when I travel--just in case I leave it behind)--actually, perhaps in the future you can come up with some dupes for travel *nudge**nudge* *hint**hint* *wink**wink*. Keep up the fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete