Sunday, September 30, 2012

Hair Pick

As many of my friends know, I have weird beauty habits.  One being hair picks and two being "Grandpa Combs".  Over the years, I have learned that these two things, no brush, serum, gel, etc., are the only two items that can tame my beast of a head of hair.  Which leads me to today's events...

Justin and I spent the weekend in Hudson, Ohio--seeing friends and family, and taking a little break from Cincinnati. It was a great weekend, and today Justin was his usual helpful self and packed up the car while my mom and I spent the last ten minutes before we left pretty much rolling on the floor laughing about pretty much nothing at all.

So we left Hudson, happy & relaxed, and started on the 4 hours drive back to Cincinnati. About 2 hours into the drive, my mom called and the conversation went like this:

Mom: "Hunny, you left a bag here."

Me: "WHAT bag?" (heart sinking, knowing exactly what I had left behind)

Mom: "I think its your makeup bag..."

OH SHIT. Insert me high pitched yelling at Justin.

It was CLEARLY his fault (in my moment of rage, yes of course it was his fault). HE packed the car, he should have KNOWN.  "Rational" thoughts going through my head. Not. But the fact that I, not he, had forgotten my makeup bag started us on about 2 hours of stupid, pointless arguments for the remainder of the drive. Dumb, yes. Of course. But the moral of the story is, everyone has that one thing that they do every morning that makes them feel better about their day.  Mine is the makeup bag.  It's not that I hate the way I look, it's just that I hate going to work looking sloppy or immature.  Corporate America could eat you for breakfast if it wanted to, and I always want to at least LOOK prepared for that. And it was the continuous comments from a boy, who of course doesn't understand the essence of the makeup bag, like "you look like someone just shot you", that made the fit of rage...rageful.

By the time we got back to Cincinnati, I think J realized that I had overreacted, but that it was also clearly important to me to not look like a hot mess at work on Monday. So we stopped at Ulta, and I promised myself I would only get a few things that I was already running low on, and of course, I would survive without X.Y. & Z beauty products until the makeup bag and I were reunited. Again, it was really not about the makeup at all, its more or less that sometimes I appear more confident, especially at work, then I really feel. And I get ready in the morning to mask my overall anxiety about work ("Am I good enough?", "Will this client like me?", "Did that program run right").

So here is what I picked up... And thank you Ulta for having some amazing mini's, very helpful!

(Tarte blush, 12 hr staying power, pigmented color, was already running low; BareMinerals Warmth, best all over bronzer out there, was already running low; Benefit's Erase Paste Mini, only $10 and will last you FOREVER; Benefit's High Brow; Ulta Eyeliner in Colbalt, standard blue; Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Mini; Urban Decay's Setting Spray, was completely out of; and of course, Say Yes To Blueberry Face Wipes)

And bringing it full circle, I forgot to pick up a hair pick at Ulta, so while J went to get toothpaste he also had this first hair pick buying experience.  And now I have 3 brand new hair picks and some makeup to get me through until I get my things back. Oh, and I have apologized.  A lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment